I’ve spent ages trying to get automounting of a RAID array to work; and after many failings I now have it working, so I figured now would be a good time to document the process.
Now i’ll assume you have a working software RAID array (or a standard RAID Array) which you can manually mount.
Step 1 – Get the correct UUID
A lot of the guides to this tell you to find the UUID of the RAID array by using ‘mdadm –detail -scan’ – this is WRONG! It took me a while to find that the correct UUID for your array can be found by using the blkid command (blkid is a command-line utility to locate/print block device attributes):
Once you have the correct UUID you can move on…
Step 2 – Find your current mount point
Open Disk Utility; mount your RAID array, and look in the lower right of the panel; it should tell you the current Mount Point (see screenshot – click to view large version):
Step 3 – Edit /etc/fstab
Fstab is the filesystem table; to open it use the following:
sudo nano /etc/fstab
(you can use whatever editor you prefer)
You’ll be presented with a mess like this:
# /etc/fstab: static file system information. # # Use 'blkid' to print the universally unique identifier for a # device; this may be used with UUID= as a more robust way to name devices # that works even if disks are added and removed. See fstab(5). # # proc /proc proc nodev,noexec,nosuid 0 0 # / was on /dev/sda1 during installation UUID=0cc63324-XXXX-46a4-XXXX-ba65c6db8e0b / ext4 errors=remount-ro 0 1 # swap was on /dev/sda5 during installation UUID=901bd836-XXXX-4034-XXXX-586f78b7eae8 none swap sw 0 0 /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto,exec,utf8 0 01
At the bottom of this file add the following (replace the UUID in the example below with you got from step 1, and the /media/Tumbler with the mount point from step 2):
#Personal RAID Array UUID=9e391861-XXXX-411b-XXXX-6cf39ed9c8e9 /media/Array/ ext4 defaults 0 0
Ensure you remove the quotation marks from the UUID from step 1!
Save the changes; reboot and voila! your RAID array (should be automounted)