I’ve spent ages trying to get automounting of a RAID array to work; and after many failings I now have it working, so I figured now would be a good time to document the process.
Now i’ll assume you have a working software RAID array (or a standard RAID Array) which you can manually mount.
Step 1 – Get the correct UUID
A lot of the guides to this tell you to find the UUID of the RAID array by using ‘mdadm –detail -scan’ – this is WRONG! It took me a while to find that the correct UUID for your array can be found by using the blkid command (blkid is a command-line utility to locate/print block device attributes):
Once you have the correct UUID you can move on…